Monday, July 4, 2011

A Great Day To Celebrate For So Many Good Reasons!


Every year on July 4th, Americans everywhere celebrate the birthday of our nation. We do it in many different ways, with picnics, parades and fireworks. There was always something deeply special about this day; from the time I was a little boy all through adulthood and watching my own boys celebrate. I love the excitement.

I'm also a lover of quotes, so today I've selected a few lines to share from various people in all walks of life who - in my eyes - have really shared what Independence Day is all about.

"You have to love a nation that celebrates its independence every July 4, not with a parade of guns, tanks, and soldiers who file by the White House in a show of strength and muscle, but with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness.  You may think you have overeaten, but it is patriotism." ~ Erma Bombeck

However, we also raise our flags proudly and celebrate the brave men and women who, for the past 235 years, have stood in defense of this freedom. The sacrifices they have made - many giving the ultimate sacrifice - allow you and I to enjoy our days and live our lives without fear. We don't constantly have to look over our shoulders or worry about the oppression of radical governments. Life in this country is pretty darn awesome.

"How often we fail to realize our good fortune in living in a country where happiness is more than a lack of tragedy." ~ Paul Sweeney

And finally, I think back to a moment I shared with my sons during the 7th-inning-stretch of a ballgame. After we finished singing our traditional "1-2-3 strikes your out", the following verse of a familiar song played on the stadium speakers. My boys both stood and sang out loud, after which one said to me "Dad, I really like that song."

"And I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free. And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me." ~ Lee Greenwood

God Bless the USA!

- David Grupa

No comments:

Post a Comment